Patrons must present their library card for ALL services, including computer use.
REGISTRATION OF BORROWERS
There is no fee to obtain a Brockton Public Library card. Residents of towns that are members of the Old Colony Library Network (OCLN) may register for a library card in any OCLN library.
Adults must show identification showing their name, photograph, and current address.
Acceptable photo identification:
- Driver’s license
- Massachusetts ID (issued by Registry of Motor Vehicles)
- Military ID
- Student ID
Acceptable current address identification:
- Any of the above photo IDs which also show current address
- Utility bills
- Lease agreement
- Personal mail with current cancellation stamp
Students Grades 9 – 12 must show one of the following pieces of identification:
Driver’s License with current address
Current school ID with photo.
Students Grades 7 – 8
Students must show an official school document (i.e. report card or class schedule) for identification to receive a library card. Those without identification will follow the requirements for a children’s card.
Children to Grade 6:
Children through grade six may receive a library card when they are able to print their first and last name or are at least in kindergarten. A parent, grandparent, or legal guardian/foster parent must be present and show identification with a current address. The application must be signed by the adult.
Patrons must present identification for a replacement card.
- Students – High School ID or official school paper.
- Children – Parent present with ID.
Lost Card Fees
$1.00 for the first lost card
$2.00 for the second lost card
$3.00 for the third lost card, etc.
- Adult Materials - $.10 per day per item - $3.00 maximum fine per item.
- Juvenile Materials - $.10 per day per item - $1.00 maximum fine per item
- Video (Children’s and Adult) - $1.00 per day per item - $5.00 maximum per item
- Museum Passes - $1.00 per day - $25.00 maximum fine.
- Fines and fees on materials borrowed from other libraries are determined by the owning library.
- Replacement for damaged multiple disc cases - $7.00
OVERDUE NOTICES and FEES
Patrons who have overdue materials will be notified by mail 21 days after the due date (3 days for videos). A second notice will be mailed 21 days after the first notice.
Items overdue more than 60 days are assumed lost and billed accordingly.
The patron will pay the price that is generated by the computer for a lost or damaged item. The library will not issue refunds if the lost item is subsequently found.
All overdue fines are to be paid within 60 days.
All library services, including computer use, will be suspended when fines exceed $5.00 or when any balance is more than 60 days overdue.
A $1.00 fee will be charged for any audio or video case that is not returned.
- Museum Passes – 24 hours.
- Videos and DVDs– 7 days
- Magazines and Children’s Magazines – 14 days
- Books, Music CDs, Audio Books (cassette and CD), classroom science kits and pamphlets - 14 days
- Reference materials - 1 day with permission from Reference Librarian or Branch Librarian.
Limitations on number of items that may be borrowed
- Museum passes must be reserved ahead and are limited to one pass per day.
- Class/School assignments may result in some limit on the number of materials that may be borrowed by one patron. Other limitations may include Holiday Books and Summer Reading List items.
- Audio Books – 6 per card.
- Videos and DVDs owned by Brockton Public Library – 5 per card
Renewals may be requested by telephone or in person (library card required) or through the OCLN online catalog with a library card and PIN. Renewals cannot be made for items on reserve for another person, reference materials, museum passes, and items that have reached their maximum number of renewals. Items eligible for renewal will be extended for the same length of time as the original borrowing period.
HOLDS / RESERVES
Holds may be placed on any available item in the OCLN network in person at the computer catalog or by telephone with an OCLN card. Telephone requests are limited to two items.
Materials not owned by any OCLN library may be requested from non-OCLN libraries directly via the Commonwealth Catalog or by submitting an Interlibrary Loan Request Form (with a limit of three).
Non-OCLN materials borrowed via the Virtual Catalog have a loan period of 28 days with no renewals. Materials borrowed via hand written Interlibrary Loan Request Forms have a loan period of 14 days with no automatic renewals. here is also a $5 FEE for each item located with the written Request Forms.
- Museum passes and discount coupons are held at the Main Library. Patrons must pick up and return passes to that location only.
- Passes may be reserved ahead by phone or in person up to three months in advance.
- Museum passes and discount coupons are to be checked out by adult Brockton Public Library cardholders with library records in good standing.
- A valid card must be presented at time of checkout.
- Only the patron who reserved the pass or discount coupon may pick it up or must call to verify the name of the person picking it up for them.
- Only one pass or discount coupon per day may be borrowed.
- $1.00 per day overdue fine
Discount coupons do not have to be returned as they are exchanged at museums for discounted admission. For all others:
- Passes circulate for 24 hours and must be returned by 9:00 A.M the day following the pass date.
- Fine for a lost pass is $25.00.
Elderly and homebound residents who are physically unable to access the library building may borrow materials through our Project Outreach program. For more information on the program call the Main Library at 508-580-7890, x207.
Those who are are visually impaired may want to request material from our audio book collection. The Perkins school for the blind also provides library material to visually impaired residents of Massachusetts.
We can get materials from other libraries through Interlibrary Loan. Our ILL Department borrows materials that are not available in Brockton or other Old Colony Library Network (OCLN) libraries. Anyone with a valid OCLN library card may request an item through ILL. Before you submit an interlibrary loan request, please search the OCLN library catalog. You may also want to search the Commonwealth Catalog https://www.ocln.org/services/commonwealth-catalog/ to see if you can request the item directly from a Massachusetts library outside OCLN. If you can't find what you want, print and fill out this form and leave it for Anne Fleming, at the reference desk, or for Lorna Fournier, at the check out desk. We'll do our best to get it for you.